Developer
Feb 25, 2007 at 10:59 AM
So - what do you think?
Coordinator
Mar 1, 2007 at 5:51 AM
I think nobody cares...
Mar 6, 2007 at 7:33 PM
Edited Mar 6, 2007 at 7:37 PM
Hey guys, quite the contrary ... this looks really cool -- both as an implementation, and as an example.

You should post as part of the home/wiki page(s) the programming language you used, it would help drive Google hits here from people who are looking for a good example ;-) and would save people the trouble of browsing into the source check-ins just to find out if you did it in C++ or in .NET (since most of the CodePlex stuff seems to be in .NET)
Mar 6, 2007 at 8:40 PM
I am definitely interested, I've been looking into building namespace extensions and search capabilities for several proprietary data formats on and off for the past few months. I just noticed this site today so I haven't had time to look at the code yet. Is it possible to extend the searchable metadata for items in a shell namespace extension?

For example, I have .foo files that are really a database of transportation data. .foo files are actual files on disk (i.e. they are junction points into my shell namespace extension) .foo databases contain tables and these tables have metadata properties that apply to the table as a whole (i.e. FooName, AverageSpeed, FooType). Can I write an NSE/IFilter/PropertyHandler (for Vista) that lets users search, via the Start menu, for "FooName=WashingtonDC AND AverageSpeed>80 AND FooType=Traffic" and then have a list of results show in Explorer with the tables from my NSE that match this query? Then I could, for example, add context menu handlers that let the user do something with the data within Windows Explorer without having to open a proprietary application.

Thanks in advance, you can be as specific and technical in your reply as you need/want to be as I've been researching/prototyping this for a while now.
Coordinator
Mar 7, 2007 at 5:07 PM
Jaykul,

Done. Thanks for the feedback.