Address Bar/Direct Path Option - One step to perfection?

Oct 13, 2009 at 8:58 AM
Edited Oct 13, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Hello :)

This is a great extension and it's great for browsing the registry. However, the main reason I am greatly interested in this is a quick ability to browse to a specific key - short of manually opening the folder namespace and pasting the Key Path after.

For tinkerers and testers like myself, i'm sure you understand where I'm coming from - when trying to diagnose or inspect any sort of software (via Process Explorer for example) we come across a specific key we need to inspect. For the average tinkerer trying to tweak or fix a windows problem, a support person may query the user on a Registry value to check on and mention the path. It'd be great if there was a super quick way of getting there.

What my point is, how good would it be if I could whack Winkey+R and just paste/type in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\IDE and a new Explorer process would jump straight there? I understand the security concerns of such a thing of course, but it'd be very useful.

I don't know much at all about this kind of programming, but I am reading up on Namespace Extensions to try and achieve exactly this. At first I thought - maybe I could map a drive letter to the Registry Extension....

Browsing the source, I notice references to a reg:// protocol. Trying to fiddle with that via Run command either gives me a catastrophic failure or "No program is registered with this protocol" prompt. Is this related?

Hope someone can give some insight on this one! Until then i'll keep doing my research to see if I can get anywhere with my limited skill.

Definately the best explorer Extension since PowerMenu. Where's the donate link? Someone deserves a beer or two!

Aug 4, 2015 at 3:24 PM
It turns out you can do this in Explorer, if you prepend your path with reg: as if it were a drive letter.

For example in the explorer path bar, type reg: and paste your key reg:\Windows Registry\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout\Substitutes.

Using the run command, you'd probalby have to type "explorer reg:\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" but this typically spawns a new explorer.exe instance.

Hope this helps.

-Jay