Windows Vista Sync Center Style Control Panel Extension

Sep 21, 2007 at 5:42 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm developing a control panel application and I was wondering how do I go about developing a Vista Style Sync Center control panel.

I've already CPlApplet based panel so that is not an issue and I'm pretty sure I can register a Tasks.xml file for common task.

The sync center is unique in that it opens up in place and is navigated like pages.

I could'nt find any reference or documentation for doing something like it. Although I did get to Shell namespace extensions. Is Sync center a regular namespace extension? or is this new kind of extension supported on Vista, Would be great if I could get some sample code.

regards

Sajid
Developer
Sep 25, 2007 at 5:37 PM
We weren't sure exactly what you were trying to do - here's a couple guesses and the answers that go with them.

If you want to write an in-frame Control Panel with the same look and feel as windows. Since the display technology is not public, you can't do this using the display technology we're using. You can make a shell namespace extension which looks like our CPLs, but you'll have to draw the contents on your own, with the display technology of your choice (except that managed code is not yet a good choice for shell extensions). Here are some design guidelines: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Aa511272.aspx

If you want to write a Sync handler. The interface is ISyncMgrHandler, and there should be a sample in the sdk.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
James