Registry not showing up in Explorer

Aug 29, 2007 at 2:53 PM
Hi, I installed the extension and ran in to trouble.

The first time I installed it, I unchecked "hide" during install and it showed up perfectly in Explorer and on the Desktop.
I wanted to see it only in Explorer and not on my Desktop, so I tried dragging the Desktop icon into the trash (and Windows alerted me that I could restore the icon from the Control Panel).
The icon was removed from Explorer as well, and I was unable to find a way to restore the icon (I tried "Change desktop icons" from the Personalization menu).

So I uninstalled and re-installed. This time I left "hide" checked during install. But after installing, I as unable to find any way to access the extension or show/hide the icon. It did not appear in Explorer, the Desktop, or as an option in "Change desktop icons".

So I reinstalled a third time, this time unchecking "hide" again like I did during my first and successful install, but the extension is still not showing up anywhere.....

Does anyone know how I can enable it again after the steps that I've taken?

Thanks.
Developer
Aug 30, 2007 at 9:31 PM
Edited Aug 30, 2007 at 9:32 PM
Hi AR. Deleting the icon doesn't delete the registration - it ADDs a key modifying the SFGAO flags. We need to add the removal of this key to the MSI so that uninstall/reinstall can get it back, as well as a remove message telling folks the needed steps to get it back.

Run this command to get it back.

reg delete /f HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CLSID\{E48ABDCD-0DE7-4C5A-91EB-13D6E81506F0}

Thanks,
James
Developer
Aug 30, 2007 at 9:34 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Aug 30, 2007 at 11:56 PM
Thanks for that.

Yep, that did it!

Minor point for the record, in case others run into the same problem:

The /f in the command line needs to go at the end, or it will fail with "key not found":

reg delete HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CLSID\{E48ABDCD-0DE7-4C5A-91EB-13D6E81506F0} /f